What is a Welcoming Congregation?
We welcome lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people to our community. The rainbow sticker worn by many members and friends on their nametags is a symbol of our commitment to diversity.
We Stand Together
Sunday, June 16, 2018 Come March PrideFest With Us!
We will march 1.5 miles from Cheesman Park to Civic Center Park along Colfax Avenue. The parade starts at 9:30 and arrives at Civic Center Park at 11:30. Arrive on foot, ready to march or ride on the UU Float (for those unable to walk.) Meet near the Race & 11th Avenue entrance by the Pavilion & Pools by 9 am. Be sure to wear Columbine’s Color BLUE!! For information, contact Debby Bower at 303- 748- 9890 or [email protected].
ACCORDING TO THE UUA, WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A WELCOMING CONGREGATION?
A Congregation that publicly and successfully welcomes bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people has the following qualities:
- Includes and addresses the needs of LGBT persons at every level of congregational life — in worship, in programs, in social occasions, and in rites of passage — welcoming not only their presence, but the gifts and particularities of their lives as well.
- Includes an affirmation and nondiscrimination clause in its by-laws and other official documents affecting all dimensions of congregational life, including membership, hiring practices, and the calling of religious professionals.
- Celebrates the lives of all people and welcomes same-sex couples, recognizing their committed relationships, and equally affirms displays of caring and affections without regard to sexual orientation.
- Seeks to nurture ongoing dialogue between bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender, and heterosexual persons to create deeper trust and sharing. Affirms and celebrates GLBT issues and history during the church year.
- Attends to legislative developments and works to promote justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society.This is only a partial list of the important characteristics of a successful Welcoming Congregation.
Please see the complete list, as well as learn about other aspects of Welcoming Congregations at the UUA website devoted to this topic.